Thursday, April 05, 2007

On a personal note...


So, on a personal topic, I've decided that I must have a tadpole-style recumbent trike. Why? I've always thought they were really cool, but I actually decided this yesterday around lunch time. I was thinking about my mountain bike which is outside on my deck at my home and how it had been sitting there when I got onto Craigslist and checked out the bikes for sale. I saw a nice-looking bright yellow recumbent that was what is referred to as "tadpole" style. That means it has the two parallel wheels in the front and if the two parallel wheels are in the rear it is a "delta". I think the tadpoles look fantastic and they supposedly have a lot of better handling characteristics that interest me. So anyway, I saw this online for sale and I knew I had to have one. It was already decided. I want one so bad. That means I have to have one quickly and I'm posting up my van online for sale at Craigslist to subsidize the cost. They are quite expensive. I imagine myself clocking thousands of miles on this thing. I see myself riding it to work and have already looked up the trails and easiest ways to ride one to work from Edmonds to Redmond. I need to stop making such impulse-buys at some point, but not right now because I just feel like I really have to have one right away! Impulse-buying-and-me is how I ended up with my Mercedes that I just sold, my van, a constant count of 3 or more cars at any given time since 2000, my condo... I just randomly get an idea in my head that I need something or need to do something and then I have to do it. The condo worked out well because it started out when I was just thinking about how I needed to get a new apartment and I was considering my sister's complex when I just thought, "I want to own a place!" and I looked at a few places online the same day. Within 2 days, I was in contact with realtors, mortgage companies/brokers, and in a very active search for a place to call my own. Now, with a mortgage hanging constantly over my head almost two years later, I have built up a really impressive amount of equity and so my impulsive purchase paid off. In my Mercedes, I lost thousands of dollars and I only owned it for 1 year and sold it earlier this week. In my van, I'll lose a bit, probably, but not such a big hit. When I bought my iPod, I pictured myself in every possible situation with it in-hand, in-pocket, or otherwise on my person and with those distinctive earbuds "plugged-in" to my ears. In reality, I don't use the iPod more than 1 hour every few weeks. I've just started to listen to it more often simply because my work gave us these cool little backpacks that have a hole for headphone wires and a little pouch inside to put your iPod, MP3 player, CD player, Walkman (?), etc. I guess I'll be getting good use out of it until at least I get tired of the backpack...
Anyways, the bottom line of all of this is that I'm going to Vegas next Thursday, one week from today, and I WILL have a recumbent trike by then if there's any way I can make it happen. I'm going to scour bike shops all weekend if I'm not showing my van-for-sale. It's really hard to be this impulsive about some things, but I really can't stop even though I think that I should because I have this feeling, one like you'd picture a little kid having, that I just MUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE THIS TRIKE!!! I hope I use it because they're very expensive...

No comments: