Monday, April 02, 2007

Moleskine Notebooks

I don't mean to be an advertisement for products here, but if there's one thing I would gladly advertise, it's these Moleskine notebooks. The Moleskine writing/sketch/notebook is apparently an iconic item, according to its historical background (which is included on a leaflet in many languages when you purchase one). Van Gogh, Matisse, Hemingway and others are reported to have used these for all of their sketches and notes and such. These books are so invaluable to me I can't even begin to describe it. They are hard-bound books that contain blank pages of different sorts for different uses. They come in different sizes, from a larger one that is 13.5 x 21cm to smaller sizes that are the "pocket notebooks". I definitely prefer these pocket-sized notebooks which are 9 x 14cm. They are a bit large for the pocket but I always find one fits perfectly in my back pocket, as I feel weird when I don't have it there.

Of the pocket-sized notebooks, there are a lot of varieties. There is one with thicker finer-quality paper that is touted as a sketchbook and the paper there does work well for sketching, watercolor, charcoal and other sketching/drawing/painting work. There is also one that just has lined paper, one that has small-squared pages (which I always use for writing [I don't know why I prefer the squared to the lined, but I do]), and even address books and others. There are some new variations on these books which I just saw today which inspired my increased interest in these (i.e. blogging about them). Now, there is a "reporter-style" book where the book flips open on the top and a travel-based book that has divided sections for different travel topics to note different aspects of your trips as you travel. I am interested in acquiring the travel one and will probably pick a couple up soon to use for referencing all of my future travels.

Something that all of these varieties of books have in common is the elastic strap that holds the whole thing closed. It wraps around from the back binding and stretches over to keep the front closed. I think this is an ingenious idea. Also, they all have a pouch in the back suitable for holding loose sheets of paper, business cards, and such and this really comes in handy for me as well. Most of them also come with an attached "bookmark" that is a thin cloth "ribbon" that is attached in the spine that can be used to mark some important spot.

I've just always recommended these to everybody I've known and most all people that know me know that I always have one in my back pocket just in case I need to jot something down, write down a passing thought, or jot down an address. I give these as gifts as I think they are just so great for anyone to have. I keep a number of these stacked up in my office for quick access in case I do need a new one for a specific use or to use as the others fill up. The one I carry now, on a daily basis, is one I've had since 2004 and it is just a plethora of information for me when I look back in it to see what I've deemed worthy of filling these pages. This one is obviously worn from the fact that I've carried it in my pocket day-in and day-out, whether I was wearing jeans on a hike or a suit in a wedding. I've resurrected the cover which has been bent up by my sitting on it and throwing it around and it has stood up well to the constant abuse I've put it through.

You can pick up the pocket-sized ones for around $9-15 depending on where you get them and you can find them at stationary stores, travel stores, and I usually purchase mine online. I've got to say, there's not a lot of products being sold out there that I'd write a lengthy "essay" about, but this is one that I just cannot ever rave enough about. Once you have one, you'll be surprised at how it becomes as invaluable to carry as your wallet/keys/passport/whatever you always hold close and make sure you have!

No comments: