Monday, April 30, 2007

Commuting Via Bike...

So, I'm progressing on my way to becoming a bike commuter (well, technically, a trike commuter, as I got my recumbent trike, but you get the idea)! I rode from Kirkland to Edmonds on Saturday afternoon, a 21 mile ride, to test out the trike for going the distance. It was a great first experience and I couldn't believe what an asset having a trike on hills was. On great steep hills where one might tire out, I could easily stop midway by just locking the pedals with my feet or just using the disc brakes, which hold remarkably well, and take a quick breather before continuing on. I found the ride to be manageable, which was great news as I wasn't sure I'd make it the first time out! I'll try my first time actually going to work sometime this week, but I'll have to plan out how early to leave.

In the search for different ways to travel, I found a plethora of online information. Bikely had all sorts of different routes that have been recommended by other cyclists. I've already taken down a route from my house to the Burke-Gilman Trail, so hopefully, I find it to be handy! It has trails and routes that people have told about in all different countries and just looking through the Seattle area, I found heaps of different routes from one destination to another, including just the route I was looking for! This can be extremely useful to find good routes, as it can be very intimidating getting stuck on roads that just aren't well suited to cyclists. Also, the Bicycle Alliance of Washington offers all sorts of information from pertinent bicycle links (like to Bikely!), community cycling events, lots of bike maps, and safety information. This group is a great resource.

With spring here and summer right around the corner, biking to work seems like a great idea! Many employers offer benefits to employees who do use bikes (as well as carpooling/public transit) to commute. Also, the health benefits are outstanding as well! It can be a big benefit to pull that bike out of the garage, pump up the tires and ride it to work a couple of times a week! Your heart and your pocketbook just might give you their own "thank you's" (not to mention the environment)!

1 comment:

fantastic said...

i can't believe you made it all the way back...congratulations!