Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Eagle vs. Shark (Part II)

So, I saw Eagle vs. Shark last night... This was a great coming-of-age comedy directed by Taika Waititi that I already talked about in the blog just prior to this. This starred Loren Horsley and Jemaine Clement as a pair of not-so-lovable social misfits, Lily and Jarrod. Lily works the counter at a local fast-food restaurant and Jarrod works at a video game store. Not exactly the glamorous life to begin with... Well, it gets better as their personalities seem as dull as their jobs, yet there's passion behind these apparent personality woes. Well, Lily likes Jarrod and pursues him and therein develops a relationship as they go through the relationship problems that we all suffer yet never see on the big screen. Horsley and Clement really play their roles well and you can really feel their awkwardness at each turn.

This movie had a few moments when the pace started to slow (which seems weird, considering the pace of the movie) and the animated bits felt somewhat unnecessary, but all in all, I'd say it's a very watchable hilarious romantic comedy! I've already recommended it to friends, but the humor can feel a little subdued, so I thought about who I was recommending it to. David Fane has a great small role in the movie and really delivers in it. I like how this movie doesn't try to "cash in" on the beauty and environment of NZ, rather focusing mostly on drab scenes and smaller towns that aren't so aesthetically appealing. I think Taika Waititi really delivered in this film and you may have to search to see if it's playing in your town, as it was only playing in one theatre in Seattle, but it's worth the hunt!

2 comments:

kookie said...

I fear I'm not going to get to see 'Eagle vs Shark' until it comes out on DVD. I live in the most culturally dead place on the map.

However, I did finally get to see 'Tongan Ninja' (thanks to Netflix) and for as cheap as it was, I thought there were actually some really good bits in there. And the cast commentary was a scream. Every cast should do their commentary while guzzling beer.

Sione said...

Haha, seriously! You hear David Fane asking for a beer like every 5-10 minutes throughout the commentary! It's hilarious when he says something about messing with Islanders when they're drinking and somebody asks, "Is this how all commentaries are?" Classic!