Friday, May 04, 2007

Commutin'...

And so the commuting via trike has begun! Today was the first day that I did commute from Edmonds to Redmond via my trike. I had already decided that Friday was the start of riding in the beginning of the week and I stuck to that decision although it wasn't seemingly the best day to start. It was raining pretty good this morning and by the time I turned out onto the street, I was pretty well soaked. There were large portions of the trip that I was unable to keep my eyes open during (Note to self: Get Goggles), due to heavy rains. I really would have appreciated fenders/splashguards as my arms and the back of my head were really wet and muddy by my arrival, but I had a change of clothes so no problem. The thought of turning back and driving came to me pretty early in the ride because it was cold enough to see my breath and rainy enough to make it hard to see that same breath. But no, I was setting a precedent and turning back would just be like admitting defeat on the first attempt, so I trekked on. I made my way with a planned route in mind, but as you can see from my actual route that I rode, I missed a little bit of the original plan's direction. I lost my way when I was getting on the Interurban Trail and as it was dark and I'd forgotten my headlight at my friend's house last night, I made a detour and rerouted my path. Oh well, it was raining, dark, and I arrived at my destination of work 45 minutes early so it wasn't too bad of an error. All in all, at least for my wet clothes I saved over 2 gallons of gas today! Maybe I can keep a running tally of the gasoline I "saved" by not driving!

No comments: