Friday, May 16, 2008

Ride Your Bike To Work Day/Week/Month!!!


Well, I haven't had as much time as I was hoping for and didn't get a chance to mention it here, but today is Ride Your Bike To Work Day! They are expecting about 20,000 people will commute to work via bike today, higher than last year's approximately 19,000. It is also Ride Your Bike To Work Week! This month, haha, is also Ride Your Bike To Work Month, to top it all off! While I meant to write more about this sooner, at the very least, sooner than the actual day of, I have been trying to increase my own riding and have been riding daily to get back into more frequent riding. I made my usual commute from Edmonds to Redmond for work today and it was great to be out as the weather was already beautiful at 5:30am and there were more people out than the typical 5-6 people I will usually see at this early hour. Also, there were booths set up along the trail "celebrating" today and offering free foods, lights, water bottles, and such! It's great to see people out biking, even if some people will indeed only do it for just today! If it is just for today, still 20,000 people are not in their cars, not clogging up traffic, and not kicking in a little more to the pollution out there! I tried to get some more people biking this week by giving one friend of mine one of my old bikes and going to another friend's house and actually fixing his bike and then riding into work with him the next day to get him on the bike to start. It's a great time to start getting into shape for the summer, saving up some money on the increasing gas costs, especially with Memorial Day and the typical rising Summer gasoline prices on the way, and just strengthening that "bike engine" a little bit to prime it and get it running a little smoother!

2 comments:

fantastic said...

you've been so good at this that you've forgotten to come home. please come home. i miss you.

Sione said...

Umm... ok? Weird. I rode for 4 fricken hours today! Man, I'm taking a couple days off!